GED programs and testing are free!
After 12 hours of instruction, we will pay for students to take both:
- The GED Ready tests in all 4 subjects (social studies, science, English, math)
- The GED Final Tests in all 4 subjects (social studies, science, English, math)
GED classes are offered at various locations throughout the Omaha metro area.
There are two program pathways for GED. There are enrollment-based classes and open learning opportunities.
The enrollment-based classes require students to:
- Attend an Adult Education Information Session
- Take an introductory 3-week course [the Transitional Learning Community (TLC)]
- Complete Nebraska Department of Education paperwork,
- Complete an interview
- Complete computer literacy education components
- Take periodic CASAS testing.
- Daily class attendance
This program should be considered by students who have the highest level of commitment in terms of time, dedication and discipline.
Adult Education offers Open Learning Opportunities for students needing more learning flexibility and who are not currently able to adhere to strict requirements of attendance and periodic testing found in the enrollment-based classes. Opportunities in this pathway include
- Open enrollment classes so that students may attend and participate as their schedules permit.
- Self-Paced GED Prep classes for GED students.
- There are no requirements for attendance or testing.
The Adult Education department also offers a variety of services to support your learning needs and lifestyle, which includes:
- There are no fees for GED classes.
- Subject-specific instruction in writing, math, social studies and science in an instructor-led learning environment
- Self-paced study options
- Distance learning with the Aztec educational software
- Computer Center with access to web-based learning tutorials and staff support
- Accelerated GED, an accelerated learning option for those that qualify
- Hands-on opportunities for increasing digital literacy skills
- Career exploration and planning
Students over 18 need to be a resident of Nebraska for at least 30 days and should hold a valid Nebraska ID.
Students under 18 years of age must have "permission to enroll" from the Nebraska Department of Education prior to registering for GED classes. The following items should be submitted to the Adult Education office at the MCC Express, 3002 S. 24th St., Omaha, NE 68108:
Other Helpful Links
Hours of Operation
||8:30 a.m. - 9 p.m.
||8:30 a.m. - 1 p.m.
||8:30 a.m. - 1:30 p.m.