Accomplishing More. Together.
Metropolitan Community College is proud to be a strategic partner of REACH. REACH is a collaborative effort, combining resources from many entities to help small and emerging businesses grow and prosper. Areas in which REACH seeks to expand Small and Emerging Business (SEB) capacities include financial literacy, business acumen and access to capital. The program’s objective is to expand the number and capacity of the Greater Omaha’s contractor pool and to help those firms reach their strategic goals.
*REACH Construction Industry Academy
When you own your own small business, you wear a lot of hats, and REACH ensures you have the tools necessary to do that well. The REACH Construction Industry Academy is a comprehensive 10-week course which covers the essential basics every small and emerging construction business needs to know. Topics covered include employment law, accounting and bookkeeping, construction law, surety bonding, marketing, estimating and more.
In order to receive the REACH Construction Industry Certificate of Completion, participants must complete 8 of the 10 modules in the course. If participants miss any session(s), participants must complete the respective module(s) during the following quarter in order to receive a certificate.
- Borrowing Basics & Cash Flows Module: Do you know what resources are readily available to finance your business? This module will equip you with knowledge on traditional and nontraditional financing options to aid your business in its endeavors. Instruction by local micro financers and accounting professionals will answer your questions and provide solutions.
- Accounting & Bookkeeping: Keep your books in order and be able to forecast your fortunes. This module will keep you informed on the latest tax brackets and how to make your money best work for you. Entry level tax basics understanding your business and personal tax returns are big for this class session.
- Employment Law & E-Verify Module: Are you aware of the legalities involved in hiring employees? Do you know the difference between an employee and a contract worker? This module will detail the legalities surrounding on-boarding new employment including Employment Status, New Hire Reporting, Equal Employment Opportunity and E-Verify. Additionally, it will cover the important documents your business should be equipped with including an employee handbook, I-9 form, 1099 and more.
- Construction Law Module: Do you fully understand the terms you are agreeing to when you sign a contract? This module will arm you with the knowledge on construction contracts to ensure you are doing what is best for your company. Some items covered include clauses to include and avoid when entering into contracts with general contractors and project owners.
- Insurance & Surety Bonding Module: Surety bonding is essential to ensuring the continued growth of your construction business. Learn how your account is underwritten, the underwriter hot buttons and what you can do to increase your chances of obtaining first-time bonding or expand your bonding capacity. Additionally, learn what types of insurance policies exist that may benefit your company.
- Marketing Documents Module: The key to ensuring success lies within your company's ability to proactively promote itself. This module will detail the important marketing documents you should have in your arsenal – from brochures to a statement of qualifications. Class will cover the importance of marketing, market research, and strategic market planning to the success of your business.
- Print & Specification Review Module: How to divide and conquer a set of plans and specifications on a job successfully. This module will assist you when reviewing a set of plans and specifications for a potential project. Learn some techniques that will provide clues on where you may find items that may impact your proposal.
- Scope Identification Module: Learn the steps how to prepare a complete and thorough job cost proposal for your owner or general contractors. This module will help you identify what are some of the do’s and don’ts for the construction industry when submitting a proposal for work your looking to win.
- Job Cost History/Estimating Module: Help identify the steps needed to begin to develop your job cost. This module will assist you in building the framework in and around your job activities, tracking your cost on a weekly or monthly basis and software that can better help you know your cost.
- Safety Module: Understand your rights and responsibilities as a contractor in the construction industry. This module will discuss some of the highlights regarding OSHA safety, best management practices in the field and both resources and tool to use. Get the big picture and plan for a safe project from start to finish.
The REACH Construction Industry Academy is sponsored by the Greater Omaha Chamber REACH Program. For more information, contact Andrea Macias, Program Coordinator – REACH, at email@example.com