Skip to main content
Just so you know

3/3/2023 1:08:12 PM

Some of our webpages may look different from others as we make improvements to bring you an even better website.

Documents for F-1 Travel

MCC International Students


Travel and Re-entry into the U.S.

F-1 students who leave the United States temporarily must have the following documents to attempt to re-enter the U.S. in F-1 status:

Required documents for reentry in the U.S., per 8 C.F.R. 214.2(f)(4)
  • A valid passport or travel document valid for at least 6 months after the date of reentry.
  • A valid F-1 visa, unless exempt from visa requirement.
  • Page 2 of your I-20 signed by an MCC Designated School Official (DSO). 
Recommended documents for reentry in the U.S.:
  • Financial documents, such as a bank statement or a letter from a bank or sponsor dated within 6 months.
  • Evidence of student status, such as recent tuition receipts, transcripts.
  • Copies of your current and/or future class schedule.
  • A letter of explanation from ISS if you were on a reduced course load for medical reasons.
  • Name and contact information for a DSO.
  • I-901 SEVIS Fee payment receipt. 
  • Provide your I-20 for a travel signature before you leave the U.S..
  • Pay for insurance and any outstanding bills and register for the next quarter.
  • Your current I-20 and F-1 visa will become invalid if you are out of the U.S. for more than 5 months. 
  • Provide ISS with your new I-94 and copy of your admission stamp upon return and any renewed passport or visa.

For additional information visit the U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement travel page and Department of Homeland Security travel page.