home Future Students Current Students Faculty and Staff Business and Community Online Courses
 
Faculty Profile: John Berger

Spring 2008 | Archives

Electrical Technology Instructor

John Berger

Vital Stats

Who: John "Fred" Berger

Academic Program: Electrical Technology

Teaching at MCC Since: Full-time for 2 years, as an adjunct for 5 years

Classes taught: Basic Electricity, Residential Wiring, Commercial Wiring, Electrical Print Reading and Electrical Grounding and Bondingp

Hobbies: Travel, spending time with family, motorcycles

John Berger started his career in the electrical industry in 1966. He started off in the electrical wholesale business, which sparked an interest in electricity that has continued to grow through the years and led him to teach electricians of tomorrow. Berger became an electrician 28 years ago and an electrical contractor in 1989. On his path to teaching, he also was a partner in his own business.

With a heavy arsenal of experience and technical skill, Berger began teaching at MCC as an adjunct faculty member five years ago. In 2006, he became a full-time instructor in the Electrical Technology Program located at MCC´s South Omaha Campus. The program offers immediate hands-on training with 60 percent of time spent in the classroom and the remaining 40 percent spent in the lab. Completing the program gives students 2,000 hours of work experience that can be applied to the Nebraska Journeyman Electrical License and allows students to begin an apprenticeship at the second year level.

"I enjoy passing on to the students my experience in the electrical field," Berger said of his role as an educator.

Dean of Applied Technology Bill Owen said Berger is a good instructor because of his warm personality and caring attitude.

"He cares. He has great technical ability, and he responds to requests from students and staff," Owen said. But there´s more to Berger than just electricity; he also has a penchant for another kind of power: motorcycles.

"My wife and I both have motorcycles and enjoy riding together and with our friends," he said. "Last summer we traveled 3,800 miles discovering and enjoying Nebraska and Colorado. Next summer, we are planning a trip to Yellowstone with a return through Colorado."

Whether in class, working with other electrical professionals or on the road, John Berger is one of the instructors that give a positive ´charge´ to the MCC experience.

For more information on electrical technology, visit www.mccneb.edu.

 
 
 
Contact Us