2010 | Archives
Ways to Reduce Energy Bills
Dave Horst, Industrial and Commercial Trades Instructor, offered
these weatherization and household tips to improve energy efficiency
and cut utility costs.
- Caulk around the inside of doors and windows that leak
- Add insulation in the attic or unfinished basements.
- Insulate your water heater with a water heater blanket or
jacket and insulate water pipes.
Other Energy Efficiency Tips:
- Replace incandescent light bulbs with compact florescence
light bulbs, which expend less energy.
- Use smart power strips instead of standard power strips. Smart
strips monitor power consumption and can sense when computers and
other devices are on or off. The strip cuts off power to devices
not in use, eliminating the idle current that such devices would
consume with a standard power strip.
- Use low-flow aerators on faucets and showers to cut water
- Set thermostats to 68 degrees in winter months and 78 degrees
in the summer months.
- Set water heater thermostat to 120 degrees.