Are you in the beginning phase of job searching? Or just want to know how to manage your career? No, matter what stage you are at, know that you are in the right place. Check out the valuable career information below.
Nebraska Department of Labor (NEDOL) Updated Spring 2013
MCC is the first institution to partner with NEDOL http://neworks.nebraska.gov . NEworks provides free employment services to job seekers and employers.
NEworks Account Registration Guide
NEworks Resume How To Guide
NEworks Resume Standards and Resume Examples
Use your Identifying Your Interests results to find out more information about career and labor market trends.
- NACE Salary Calculator --
The Salary Calculator program will ask you for information relating to your education, employment history, and other factors, to create the most accurate compensation and employment guidance available
- www.military.com--Click on Veterans Jobs and use the Military Skills translator to convert your military experience to civilian experience. Search for veteran jobs, upload your resume, network with veterans, explore the site.
Transferable Skills, will not only help you in your job search, but may open doors to new areas. Learn more: Updated Spring 2013
- Resumes Updated 2013
- Functional Resume- Highlights areas of skills and accomplishment. Best for new graduates, career changers, or variety of job experiences. Functional resume template.
- Chronological Resume- Highlights solid work experience. Chronological resume template.
- Combination Resume- Combines the functional and chronological into one resume. List your skills and experience first, followed by your work experience. Combination resume template.
- Cover Letters Updated 2013
- Cover Letter definition-
A cover letter is a document sent with your resume to provide additional information on your skills and experience. A cover letter typically provides detailed information on why you are qualified for the job you are applying for. Effective cover letters explain the reasons for your interest in the specific organization and identify your most relevant skills or experiences.
- Source: www.about.com
Cover Letter Resources:
Don't forget to write a Thank You letter after your interview! Let the employer know that you appreciate their time and are highly interested in the position. Thank You Letter Tips.
- Dress for Success: Updated Spring 2013
- http://careerplanning.about.com/od/jobinterviews/a/dress_questions.htm - Dress for Success tips
- http://www.kiplinger.com/features/archives/2007/09/dress.html - Dress for Success on a budget
Dress for Success Video--www.vault.com
Omaha Clothing Closets Updated Spring 2013
- Interviewing: Updated Spring 2013
- http://jobsearch.about.com/od/interviewquestionsanswers/a/interviewquest.htm - Job Interview Question samples
- Tips on Job Interview Questions
Interviewing Do's and Don'ts Video-- www.vault.com
- Nonverbal Communication:
- http://jobsearch.about.com/od/interviewsnetworking/a/nonverbalcomm.htm - Tips on nonverbal communication
- Decision making:
- http://cte.ed.gov/acrn/decision.htm - Career Decision Making Tool
- Career Assessments:
Nebraska Career Information System
- www.nebraskacareerconnections.org - Nebraska Career Connections
- http://omaha.careerlink.com/state/ne/city/omaha/frames.htm?page=/25.adg/01/index.htm - Careerlink – What “hue” are you?
- http://www.keirsey.com/sorter/register.aspx - Kiersey Sort Temperament
- Social Networking/Networking Skills
- http://jobsearch.about.com/od/networking/Job_Search_Networking.htm - Tips for different social/job networking sites
- http://www.quintcareers.com/Internet_networking_sources.html - Tips for different social/job networking sites
- http://mashable.com/2009/02/24/top-10-social-sites-for-finding-a-job/ - Top 10 Social Sites for Finding a Job by Dan Schawbel
- How to Research Employers
- Career Playbook on how to research employers
- http://www.palmbeachpost.com/jobs/content/jobs/resources/stories/jobs_company_research_main.html - Palm Beach Post article on how to research a potential employer
- Job Applications
- http://www.worksmart.ca.gov/tips_application.html - Work Smart’s Tips on filling out applications
- http://www.quintcareers.com/job_applications.html - How to successfully complete applications
- Career Occupations
- http://web.utk.edu/~career/wcidwtm/wcidwtm.php - What can I do with this Major?
- http://www.bls.gov/oco/ - U.S. Department of Labor: Bureau of Labor Statistics
http://online.onetcenter.org/ - O*NET OnLine
- Free computer resources in the community – “learn how to use a computer”
- http://www.omahapubliclibrary.org/programs/computer-classes - Omaha Public Library - information on computer classes
- http://www.bellevuelibrary.org/index.htm - Bellevue Library - general library information
- http://www.gretnapubliclibrary.org/ - Gretna Public Library - general library information
- http://cityoflavista.org/index.aspx?NID=100 - La Vista Library - information on computer classes
- http://www.papillion.ne.us/library/ComputerClasses.htm - Sump Library in Papillion - information on computer classes
- http://springfieldnebraska.com/index.php - Springfield Library information is within the City of Springfield webpage – type in keyword in search field
- http://www.blairpubliclibrary.com/computers.htm - Blair Public Library – information on computer resources
- http://www.uwmidlands.org/211 - Additional resources may be known through United Way of the Midlands