Emergency Medical Services encompasses the courses and refreshers specific to the skills required when responding to medical situations of an emergency nature, for example:
- Certified Pulmonary Resuscitation (CPR)
- Emergency Medical Technician - Basic (EMT-B)
- First Responder
- Prehospital Trauma LIfe Support
- Advanced Medical Life support
- Critical Care Paramedic
- Emergency Medical Technician Instructor
EMTs and Paramedics are recognized as an essential component of the continuum of care and serve as a link among health resources.
Is it for you?
If you are interested in making a difference in the lives' of others, continually strive for effective communication, enjoy problem-solving, are both a self-starter AND a team player, EMS may be a perfect career choice for you!
Positions, both paid and voluntary, vary between sites.
- Associate in Applied Science - Professional Health Studies/EMT Paramedic Track
- The paramedicine program provides:
- an introduction to emergency medical care
- knowledge of EMS systems
- the roles, responsibilties and well-being of the paramedic
- medical, legal and ethical issues
- anatomyand physiology
- pathophysiology of the normal cell;
- respiratory systems
- general principles of pharmacology
- IV access and medication administration
- airway ventilation and management
- therapeutic communication
- patient assessment
- communication and documentation
- assessment and management of all medical emergencies
- pediatric and geriatric emergencies
- trauma emergencies
- ambulance operations
- incident command
- field and clinical experience
Credit Classes and Registration
- Find Class Schedule
- Register for Classes -- Students must complete a registration form for EMT courses and submit the form and a completed background check form to the Office of Health and Public Services. Paramedic students must complete an application and submit it to the Office of Health and Public Services. Students are registered through this office and cannot register for classes on their own. For questions contact the Health and Public Service Office at 402-738-4791 or 402-738-4631.
- EMT Registration Form
- Background Check Form
- Advanced EMT Registration Form
- Paramedicine Application