What is 'Emergency Medical Services? (EMS)'
Emergency Medical Services encompasses the courses and refreshers specific to the skills required when responding to medical situations of an emergency nature, for example:
- Certified Pulmonary Resuscitation (CPR)
- Emergency Medical Technician - Basic (EMT-B)
- First Responder
- Prehospital Trauma LIfe Support
- Advanced Medical Life support
- Critical Care Paramedic
- Emergency Medical Technician Instructor
EMTs and Paramedics are recognized as an essential component of the continuum of care and serve as a link among health resources.
Is it for you?
If you are interested in making a difference in the lives' of others, continually strive for effective communication, enjoy problem-solving, are both a self-starter AND a team player, EMS may be a perfect career choice for you!
Jobs and Salary expectations
Positions, both paid and voluntary, vary between sites.
- Associate in Applied Science - Professional Health Studies/EMT Paramedic Track
- The paramedicine program provides:
- an introduction to emergency medical care
- knowledge of EMS systems
- the roles, responsibilties and well-being of the paramedic
- medical, legal and ethical issues
- anatomyand physiology
- pathophysiology of the normal cell;
- respiratory systems
- general principles of pharmacology
- IV access and medication administration
- airway ventilation and management
- therapeutic communication
- patient assessment
- communication and documentation
- assessment and management of all medical emergencies
- pediatric and geriatric emergencies
- trauma emergencies
- ambulance operations
- incident command
- field and clinical experience
Credit Classes and Registration