home Future Students Current Students Faculty and Staff Business and Community Online Courses

Grants are a form of financial assistance you don't have to pay back. Several local and national programs are offered at MCC.


Grants available at MCC

*These grants are considered campus-based grants.  For more detailed descriptions of specific federal grants and loans, refer to the Guide to Federal Student Aid.


What is a Federal Pell Grant?

A Federal Pell Grant, unlike a loan, does not have to be repaid. Pell Grants are the foundation of federal student financial aid, to which aid from other federal and nonfederal sources might be added. Pell Grants are generally awarded only to undergraduate students--those who haven't earned a bachelor's or graduate degree.

Amounts can change yearly. The amount a student receives is dependent on the student's Expected Family Contribution (EFC), the cost of attending the institution, whether the student attends full-time or part-time, and whether the student attends for a full academic year or less. Students may not receive Federal Pell Grant funds from more than one school at a time.

Financial need is determined by the U.S. Department of Education using a standard formula, established by Congress, to evaluate the financial information reported on the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) and to determine the student's EFC. The fundamental elements in this standard formula are the student's and, in the case of dependent students, the parents' income and assets, the family's household size, and the number of family members attending postsecondary institutions.

Students may receive a Federal Pell Grant even they are enrolled less than half-time, if the student is otherwise eligible. The student won't receive as much as if they were enrolled full time, but MCC will disburse Pell Grant funds in accordance with the student's enrollment status.

To apply for a Federal Pell Grant, complete a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). Apply online through FAFSA on the Web.


A Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant is for undergraduate students with exceptional financial need, that is, students with the lowest Expected Family Contribution (EFC), and gives priority to students who receive Federal Pell Grants.

Applicants who are not eligible for the Pell grant but have exceptional need are awarded this grant to the extent funds are available. A student must be enrolled for a minimum of 12 credit hours each quarter to receive this grant.

To apply for this program, you must file the FAFSA or Renewal FAFSA application form. A separate FSEOG application is not required.

The U.S. Department of Education guarantees that each participating school will receive enough money to pay the Federal Pell Grants of its eligible students. There's no guarantee every eligible student will be able to receive a Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant; students are awarded based on the availability of funds. If you are eligible, the funds will be credited your student account.


What is the Board of Governors Tuition Grant?

It is a College funded program for legal residents of Nebraska. You must have financial need (as determined by the FAFSA). This grant can only be used to pay for tuition. No separate application form is required.



What is the Nebraska Opportunity Grant?

This is a grant funded by the state of Nebraska and the federal government. This grant is awarded to students who are eligible for the Pell grant and have an Estimated Family Contribution (EFC) within a range determined by the Financial Aid Office.

Who may qualify for this program?

You must be eligible for a Pell grant and must show financial need.

How do I apply for a Nebraska Opportunity Grant?

To apply for this program, you must file the FAFSA or Renewal FAFSA. A separate Nebraska Opportunity Grant application is not required.

How many credit hours must I be enrolled?

There is no minimum enrollment required in order to receive this grant.

Awarding Procedures

When all appropriate information, forms, or documents have been received by the campus Financial Aid office, the student's financial aid file is considered complete and ready for verifying and awarding to the extent funds are available.

The Financial Aid Office uses the following criteria to award financial aid to applicants:

  • Must have financial need
  • Must be an EFC (Estimated Family Contribution) that the Financial Aid office has determined to be valid; and
  • Must have a valid EFC and complete file for the new award year.

Students who have completed financial aid files by April 1 will receive priority consideration for the Federal Grant Supplemental Opportunity Grant, Nebraska Opportunity Grant, Board of Governors Tuition Grant.

Failure to meet this priority date may result in some programs funds not being available to applicants.

A Federal Pell Grant can be applied for throughout the year. However, the Financial Aid office must electronically receive the student's SAR information no later than the last day of Spring Quarter of the current award year to determine his/her Federal Pell Grant eligibility for the award year.

Applicants with a Bachelor's Degree
Applicants with a Bachelors Degree are not eligible for a Federal Pell Grant, Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant, Board of Governors Tuition Grant, and Nebraska Opportunity Grant. This is according to federal and State of Nebraska regulations.

Contact Us