How to Thank the Donor
The scholarship you were awarded is funded solely through the generosity of our donors. Without generous donors – individuals, corporations, foundations – these scholarships would not be possible. Their generosity is helping you attend college…it’s important to thank them. Letting the donors know how much the scholarship meant to you, could be the difference between a student being awarded a scholarship and no scholarships being awarded at all.
You were awarded a scholarship because your personal qualities and academic abilities stood above all other worthy applicants. Having your thank you note on file does impact your eligibility for future awards.
TIPS FOR THANK YOU LETTERS
- Write or type your letters on hard-copy paper or note cards. Use quality paper.
- Avoid email – this is one situation where email is too informal.
- Double-check for typos and grammatical errors.
- If you get stuck writing the letter, the writing centers can help.
- Give the letter your own personality – help them understand how important their gift is to your future. Express enthusiasm.
- Let them know what you expect to accomplish with the scholarship. Be sincere.
- Keep it simple and brief. Write clearly and concisely.
Send your thank you letters to the following address and our staff will forward them to the appropriate donor on your behalf.
Metropolitan Community College Foundation
PO Box 3777
Omaha, NE 68103-0777
Thank you letter format
Name of the Donor
Organization (if known)
Address, City State
First paragraph: State the purpose of your letter.
Second paragraph: Share a little about yourself and indicate why the scholarship is important.
Third paragraph: Close by thanking the person again and make a commitment to do well with the “donor’s investment.”