What is Human Services? (HMSV)
The Human Services program prepares the student for entry-level positions in public and private community agencies and institutions involved with helping professions. The human services worker is prepared to work as a team member, generally working under the direction of a professional, in providing help to the client.
The Human Services Program, Associate of Science Degree, has been accredited by The Council for Standards in Human Service Education since 1995.
Is it for you?
Those working in the human services or chemical dependency counseling field have specialized training as a helping professional. They hold a variety of positions, whether in residential care, correctional facilities, substance abuse treatment facilities, homeless shelters and food banks, organizations dedicated to children and families, poverty and employment services, child and elder care operations, mental health agencies and domestic violence efforts. Their role may include helping others obtain services, monitoring and keeping records, organizing or leading group activities, assisting clients in mastering everyday living skills and modeling healthy behaviors for residents or clients.
Jobs and Salary Expectations
Average wage http://www.bls.gov/oes/current/oes211093.htm
- The Human Services program prepares the student for entry-level positions in public and private community agencies and institutions involved with helping professions. The human services worker is prepared to work as a team member, generally working under the direction of a professional, in providing help to the client. The Council for Standards in Human Services Education (CSHSE) accredits the Human Services program.
- The Chemical Dependency Counseling program prepares the student for positions in public and private sectors. A variety of learning experiences focus on theoretical and practical knowledge in working with chemically dependent individuals and their families. The student has the opportunity to develop skills which will enable him/her to work with individuals or groups within the area of chemical dependency counseling. The intent of the program is to facilitate meeting Nebraska certification standards. State certification requirements are subject to change at the discretion of the Department of Health and Human Services.
- The Chemical Dependency certificate provides knowledge and skills in medical and social aspects of addiction; treatment issues in addictions; interpersonal communications; helping skills/techniques; introduction to counseling; assessment, case planning, and management; professional ethics and issues; and crisis intervention. The certificate includes general education in English Composition, Mathematics, Psychology, Sociology and Information Systems.
- The General Human Services certificate provides knowledge and skills in interpersonal communication; overview of human services; helping skills/techniques; community resources; introduction to counseling theories; assessment, case planning, and management; professional ethics and issues; and crisis intervention. The certificate includes general education in English composition, mathematics, psychology, sociology and information systems
- Associate in Applied Science Degree in Human Services - General (HSAA1)
- Certificate of Achievement in Human Services - General (HSGCE)
- Associate in Applied Science Degree in Human Services - Chemical Dependency Counseling (CDAAS)
- Certificate of Achievement in Human Services - Chemical Dependency Counseling (CDCCE)
Human Services Program Manual 2012-2013
Human Services Practicum Application
The program meets the standards established by the Nebraska Department of Health and Human Services, Division of Alcoholism, Drug Abuse and Addiction Services for certification as a Provisionally Licensed Alcohol and Drug Counselor (PLADC).
The Associate Degree in Chemical Dependency Couneling at MCC prepares the student for what is known as the PLADC. This is a provisional certification. Once a student has been in the field and has 6000 direct client contact hours the student may apply for professional certification or PLADC. PLADC also involves a written examination and an oral case presentation.
Provisional Licensed Alcohol and Drug Counselor (PLADC) means a person who has documented the standards for provisional under 209 NAC and who holds a valid license issued by the Department. This provisional status may be granted once and held for a time period not to exceed six years. An individual may not render services under this status without clinical supervision.
Provisional status is granted for the purpose of obtaining a PLADC. An individual may not represent himself or herself as a Provisional Licensed Alcohol and Drug Counselor unless he/she holds a valid license issued by the Department.
The total cost for certification is $175.
If the student already has a degree and wants to get qualified, they would need to take the following courses:
LMHP PLADC Dual Certification
The state of Nebraska is encouraging the Licensed Mental Health Practitioners (LMHP) to seek dual certification as substance abuse counselors by taking HMSV 1140, HMSV 1160, and HMSV 2130.
Students wishing to enroll in the following three courses to obtain dual certification must provide proof of Masters degree in counseling or a related field and/or their LMHP number verified by the state to have the course prerequisites waived.
For more information on any of the General Human Services and/or Chemical Dependency Counseling degrees, certificates, or certifications, please call 402-457-2400 to schedule an appointment with an academic advisor.
John Vautravers Memorial Scholarship
- Minimum cumulative GPA of 3.25
- Must have completed 15 credit hours in HMSV prefix courses
- Must have completed at least 30 credit hours that apply to the Human Services or Chemical Dependency degree
- Explain interest in Human Services program, desired goals, and experience in community service work
Credit Classes and Registration
Nebraska Health and Human Services Website
Nebraska: DHHS Alcohol and Drug Counseling Website