Change of Status

Generally, full-time employees may enroll or make changes in their health and dental coverage only when first hired by the College or during the annual open enrollment. However, certain changes can be made at other times when you experience a life event. Employees are responsible for notifying the Human Resources office within 30 days of a life event to request a change of coverage (i.e., add/remove a dependent), or to request an election change under a PayFlex flexible spending account. The change requested must be consistent with the life event that has taken place. 

A life event includes:

  • Marriage, divorce, legal separation or spouse’s death
  • Birth, adoption or death of a dependent
  • Loss of your spouse’s insurance coverage
  • Change in employee or spouse’s employment status or change in work schedule (i.e., switch from part time to full time or return from leave without pay)
  • Loss of dependent status (limiting age of dependent; age 26 for health/dental insurance)
  • Change in place of residence or work and plan not available there
  • Entitlement or loss of eligibility for Medicare or Medicaid
  • Judgment, decree or order from a divorce, legal separation or change in custody
  • Significant change in cost or coverage of employee or spouse’s insurance
  • Spouse’s employer’s open enrollment period


HR Contact:  Julie Nohrenberg, 531-622-2232