Complaints and Appeals

College Ombudsperson

The mission of the Ombudsperson office is to assist students, employees and members of the public with the resolution of problems to support retention and to foster respect across the college community.

Regardless of the type of complaint or grievance that you would like to file, there is a place at Metropolitan Community College for your concern to be heard. The type of concern determines where to start with your complaint, as described below. If you are still unsure about where to go, send an email to, and we can point you in the right direction.

If you are a community member and have a concern, complaint or comment, contact us via email,, or at 531-MCC-8030.

Unresolved complaints or concerns submitted through the office of the Ombudsperson will be reviewed and referred to the appropriate department based on the type of complaint, concern or comment.

It is the goal of MCC to process all submissions in a timely manner. Unless otherwise stated, in most instances, MCC will conduct an initial review and acknowledge a complaint within two business days of receiving the complaint. If more time is needed, the complainant will be notified.

Questions about the complaint process or a pending complaint? Contact the Office of the Ombudsperson at 531-MCC-8030. 

If you need to report an emergency or an immediate threat, contact Public Safety at 531-622-2222.

Report Website-related Comment or Concern

To report a Website-related comment or concern, please fill out the Report Website Issues or Concerns form. When a report is filed, it will be routed to an appropriate contact. Reports will be handled as promptly and discreetly as possible.

Information is provided below to assist you with obtaining assistance from the appropriate department with your concern/complaint/issue:

Academic Concerns

  1. Speak to your faculty member directly, one-on-one.

  2. If not resolved, instructor concerns are reviewed by the appropriate academic dean, which is listed in the course syllabus or can be found at:  Academic Affairs Deans

Appealing Academic Suspension or Dismissal

Information regarding Academic Standing is available in the MCC’s online Catalog: Academic Standards of Progress. Students on academic suspension or dismissal should contact an Advocacy counselor to request re-admission.

Concerns with College Services

Students are strongly encouraged to resolve any concern by talking with the staff member/faculty/administrator and his/her supervisor, if necessary, in an attempt to come to a resolution prior to resorting to the College's Ombudsperson.

Discrimination/Harassment Complaints

MCC is committed to an environment free of harassment and discrimination. Students who are victims of harassment and/or discrimination are encouraged to file a complaint with the Dean of Student Advocacy and Accountability using the student grievance form. Additional contact information for reporting harassment and discrimination can be found at Nondiscrimination/Accessibility Notice.

Student Harassment Policy (V-2)

Grievance Procedures Policy (V-3)

Financial Aid Appeal Process (Financial Aid Satisfactory Progress)

Information regarding Financial Aid at MCC can be found at Financial Aid. Visit Satisfactory Progress for information about MCC’s Financial Aid Satisfactory Progress standards and appeal process.

Grade Appeals

Should a student wish to contest a grade earned in a class, procedures are available in the MCC's online catalog: Grade Appeals. This process is to be used for disputes regarding final grades. A student who perceives an individual grade received during a course to be unfair must first attempt to resolve the matter informally with his or her instructor.

International Students  

For information about attending MCC as an international student, visit the International Student page.

Student Behavior Concerns

The Student Behavior Referral Form can be used to refer an student who demonstrates disruptive behavior, personal difficulties, mental and/or emotional instability or otherwise causes another member of the campus community to feel distress or concern.

Student Record Appeal Process

The Student Record Appeal Process may be used by a student who has had an unforeseen circumstance or life-altering event which affected their ability to complete courses. The Record Action Appeal is not to be used to dispute grades, to voice instructor concerns or for questions regarding the College's refund policy. More information can be found at Student Record Appeal Process.

Tuition/Billing Concerns /Refund Policies 

College refund policy questions are handled by Student Accounts at 531-MCC-2405.