Transcript Request

Effective March 20, 2020: Due to the Coronavirus Outbreak and the Records office working remotely, only limited services are offered.

Transcript Options

Electronic Transcripts:

Electronic transcripts (e-transcripts) are official transcripts that are submitted to a third party through a secure process. Each transcript is validated through a digital and certified signature by Metropolitan Community College. All e-transcripts are identical to a paper transcript; the only difference is the delivery method. The recipient's email address is required to utilize this service. Please make sure that you obtain the correct email address and verify it with the recipient.

Recipients will receive an email with instructions on how to retrieve the e-transcript from our secure website. An e-transcript will remain valid for 30 days and must be downloaded by the recipient prior to it expiring; otherwise, a new transcript request will need to be submitted.

E-transcripts are processed within one to two business days (Monday through Friday, excluding days when the College is closed), provided there are no holds on a student's account. Students may submit an e-transcript request 24/7, but transcripts will not be processed until the next business day. Additional processing time may be required after the end of the quarter.

Paper Transcripts:

Paper transcripts are official transcripts that are printed on security paper. The recipient's complete postal address is required.

Paper transcripts are processed within the five to seven business days' time period; allow additional processing time during high volume periods (end or start of term, graduation, etc.). Paper transcripts will be processed and mailed every two weeks. Please take this time-frame into consideration when requesting one.

To Order an E-Transcript or Paper Transcript Online – Current and former students who would like to order an official transcript online through the National Student Clearinghouse. There is a minimal charge for each transcript. A debit or credit card is required, if you do not have a credit or debit card, you will need to follow the steps for ordering a paper transcript below*.

To Track your Transcript Order Status Online - Utilize the Transcript Order Status Tool. You will need the transcript order number sent in your order confirmation email and the email address you used to place the order.

If you are having technical difficulties ordering a transcript through the National Student Clearinghouse, please contact them directly at (703) 742-4200 or by email to

*(Service is Temporarily Suspended) Note: Students who do not have a debit or credit card can complete a Transcript Request Form. Students can mail in the request form with payment (cash,check or money order ONLY), or pay in person (cash, check or money order ONLY) at any Student Services or at the Fort Omaha Campus, Student Accounts building 30 or the Career and Academic Skills Center building 23. Online Tracking is not available if you do not utilize the National Student Clearinghouse.

(Service is Temporarily Suspended) Attention Omaha Tech students: Students who need a copy of their Omaha Tech transcripts must submit a paper transcript request form, as only paper copies are available.

GED transcript requests must be made through the Nebraska Department of Education you can access GED transcript information on the MCC GED Program page.

CNA course taken before 2006 - request must be made through the Department of Continuing Education as the course was non-credit and transcripts were issued by them.

Important Information

All business office holds need to be resolved before a transcript is released. The Records office cannot release holds placed by other departments due to financial obligations to the College. Please contact the appropriate department if you have a hold.

Additional attachments/documents must be submitted at the time the transcript request is made. They cannot be faxed, emailed or sent in separately.

All transcript requests require a student's signature; therefore, requests by phone or email are not accepted.

Metropolitan Community College does not fax transcripts to other institutions, students or businesses.

Unofficial Transcripts Request

Current students who require an unofficial transcript can print a copy from their self-service portal.

Former students who are requesting a copy of their unofficial transcript must complete the Release of Unofficial Transcript form. Signature is required.

(Service is Temporarily Suspended) In person requests: Students who request a copy of their unofficial transcript in person at a Student Services location do not need to complete the Release of Unofficial Transcript form; however, they must present a valid photo ID.