Skip to main content
Changes ahead
Some pages will look different than others as we modernize to bring you an even better website.

Student FERPA FAQ's

Q.   What is considered directory information?

A.   Directory information means information contained in an educational record of a student that would not generally be considered harmful or an invasion of privacy if disclosed. Directory information may include, but is not limited to, the student’s name, address, telephone number, electronic mail address, photograph, date and place of birth, major field of study, grade level, enrollment status (e.g., undergraduate or graduate, full-time or part-time), dates of attendance, participation in officially recognized activities or sports, weight and height of members of athletic teams, degrees, honors and awards and the most recent educational agency or institution attended. An institution is entitled to determine what directory information it will release and what directory information it will not release according to its own policies. A student may request, in writing, that the institution withhold all of their directory information.

Q.   When is someone considered “a student” at MCC?

A.   Student, except as otherwise specifically provided by applicable statute or regulation, means any individual who is or has been in attendance at an educational agency or institution and regarding whom the agency or institution maintains educational records.

      As soon as someone registers for a class at MCC, they are considered a student.

      For dual enrollment students: For dual enrollment students, the students’ postsecondary records must be treated by MCC like any other MCC student, and his/her records may only be provided to parents as allowed by the FERPA guidelines. Educational records relating solely to the students’ K-12 activities can be released to parents without the student’s consent (as long as the student is 17 years of age or younger).  

      According to the Department of Education, “If a student is attending a postsecondary institution—at any age—the rights under FERPA have transferred to the student. However, in a situation where a student is enrolled in both a high school and a postsecondary institution, the two schools may exchange information relating to that student. If the student is under 18 years of age, the parents still retain the rights under FERPA at the high school and may inspect and review any records sent by the postsecondary institution to the high school.” All such requests shall be directed to the participating high school not the college.

Q.   Can a student give verbal permission for a parent to access their records?

A.   No, in order for parents to have access to a student’s records or perform any transactions on a student’s behalf, a signed release form (Authorization to Release Student Information) must be on file with the College or the student must qualify as a dependent under the guidelines of 34 C.F.R. §99.31 and a permission note must be added to the student’s electronic record in MCC’s database.

Q.   I’ve already signed an Authorization to Release Student Information form, why don’t you have that information?

A.   The Registrars Office may not yet have the form. Once the Registrars Office receives the form, it takes up to five days to process. Contact the Registrars Office at 531-MCC-2353 to check on the status of your form.

Q.   Are there separate waivers for giving verbal and written information?

A.   No, MCC utilizes the Authorization to Release Student Information form for both verbal and written information.                                        

Q.   What information can be given using email? What kind of verification?

A.   According to MCC’s FERPA policy, a request for non-directory information received via MCC email is acceptable; however, the information released can only pertain to the student to whom the MCC email address is assigned. For example, if a student contacts a faculty member about a grade, the faculty member may email the grade to the student’s MCC email account.

Q.   I've lost my official transcript from a previously attended college. I had one sent to MCC. May I have a copy?

A.   No, we do not provide copies of official transcripts received from other institutions to students. A student must contact their former institution to request a transcript.

Q.   A student owes money to the College. He/she believes that that according to FERPA he/she has the rights to have his/her transcripts released. Is this true?

A.   No, FERPA protects students from unauthorized release of information and guides the College in understanding who is authorized to receive such information. It also allows an institution to withhold a transcript from being released to a third party if a student has a financial obligation to it. The student may view his/her records, but the College is permitted to withhold its release to a third party until the student has fulfilled his/her financial obligation to the College.

Q.   Who has access to a student’s academic records?

A.   The conditions under which prior consent is not required to disclose protected educational information are set forth in 34 C.F.R. §99.31.

Q.   Does MCC have to share information with a third party?

A.   It depends. An institution is required to release protected educational information to certain third parties in certain prescribed circumstances pursuant to 34 C.F.R. §99.31.

Q.   What are the consequences for violating FERPA?

A.   An individual who believes that their rights under FERPA have been violated may file a complaint with the United States Department of Education.