Skip to main content

English Proficiency Information

Application Type Requirement
Outside the USA
  • Request an official TOEFL score to be sent directly from the testing location to MCC. Scores must be dated within two years. The TOEFL is part of the application to determine acceptance to MCC. Our school code is 9621.
  • Take the placement test after arrival at MCC to know if you will be in ESL or regular English.
Transfer within the USA Take the placement test as part of the admission process and to know if you can be accepted into ESL or regular English.
Change of Status to F-1 Take the placement test as part of the admission process and to know if you can be accepted into ESL or regular English.


  1. Passport-Specific ESL Waiver

    If you have a passport from Australia, Canada (except Quebec), Ireland, New Zealand, United Kingdom, or the Commonwealth Caribbean (Antigua and Barbuda, the Bahamas, Barbados, Dominica, GrenaJamaica, Saint Kitts and Nevis, Saint Lucia, Saint Vincent and the Grenadines, and Trinidad and Tobago), then you do not need to take the ESL placement test. You may need different placement tests, unless any other exemptions apply.

  2. Previous Completion of College Level English

    If you earned a C or better in college level English (not ESL/IEP), please provide official transcripts for review.

  3. ACT or SAT Verbal Scores dated within two years.

    Please send official scores for review.

  4. Earned a Bachelor, Master, or Doctorate Degree

    If you earned one of these degrees, please send official transcripts for review. You may earn credit for ENGL 1010 English Composition I, English 1020 English Composition II, and HMRL 1010 Human Relations. If you earned the degree outside the US, then you will need to have your official transcript evaluated by one of the companies listed at

  5. Other Documentation

    If you have other documentation that you would like to present for consideration please submit it to ISS for review.

Frequently Asked Questions

Q: Where can I take the TOEFL test?
A: The TOEFL test is given by ETS. Visit for more information.

Q: What score do I need on the TOEFL test?
A: To get admitted to our English as a Second Language (ESL) courses, you will need a minimum of score of 365 on the paper-based test or 23 if you take the internet based test. You will need to earn a 500 or higher on the paper-based test or a 61 in the Internet-based test to get admitted into a certificate of achievement program or an associate’s degree.

Q: I’m coming to study ESL. Do I still need to take the TOEFL?
A: Yes. Our ESL courses require a minimum level of English proficiency.

Q: I’ve tested into ESL. Will I be able to do a certificate of achievement or associate degree?
A: Once you have completed ESL, you will be able to re-apply to MCC for a certificate of achievement or an associate’s degree.

Q: Why do I have to take the placement test?
A: The placement test helps us to understand your level of English proficiency, if you qualify for admission, and to place you into classes that are too low or too high for your level.

Q: I am in the US but not in the Omaha area How can I take the placement test as part of my application process?
A: Contact ISS to see if there is a testing center where you are to take the test remotely. There may be a fee.

Q: I’m a transfer student and I have successfully completed a number of college classes at other institutions. Do I need to take the placement test?
A: It depends on the classes you took. Please provide transcripts to ISS for review.