COVID-19 Information

3/31/2020 9:24:04 AM

MCC has moved to e-learning and alternate delivery methods. Learn more

Human Services


The Human Services (General) program is accredited by The Council for Standards in Human Services Education (CSHSE).

The following links are to information regarding current students and graduates of Human Services: (Based upon 2015 data. This information will be updated in the next re-accreditation in 2020.)

What is Human Services? (HMSV)

The Human Services program prepares the student for entry-level positions in public and private community agencies and institutions involved with helping professions. The human services worker is prepared to work as a team member, generally working under the direction of a professional, in providing help to the client. See Nebraska Health and Human Services for more information. 

Is it for you?

Those working in the human services or chemical dependency counseling field have specialized training as a helping professional. They hold a variety of positions, whether in residential care, correctional facilities, substance abuse treatment facilities, homeless shelters and food banks, organizations dedicated to children and families, poverty and employment services, child and elder care operations, mental health agencies and domestic violence efforts. Their role may include helping others obtain services, monitoring and keeping records, organizing or leading group activities, assisting clients in mastering everyday living skills and modeling healthy behaviors for residents or clients.

Jobs and Salary Expectations

For the second quarter of 2019 in Nebraska, employees in Community and Social Services field received an average income of $27,735 for entry-level positions.* The median income was $39,452 while the mean income was $43,384.* Experienced professionals received an average of $51,208.*

*Data courtesy of NEworks.


The program meets the standards established by the Nebraska Department of Health and Human Services, Division of Alcoholism, Drug Abuse and Addiction Services for certification as a Provisionally Licensed Alcohol and Drug Counselor (PLADC).

The Associate Degree in Chemical Dependency Counseling at MCC prepares the student for what is known as the PLADC. This is a provisional certification for a person who has documented the provisional standards under 209 NAC and who holds a valid license issued by the Department. Once a student has been in the field and has 6,000 direct client contact hours, the student may apply for professional certification or PLADC. PLADC also involves a written examination and an oral case presentation.

This provisional status may be granted once and held for a time period not to exceed six years. An individual may not render services under this status without clinical supervision. Provisional status is granted for the purpose of obtaining a PLADC. An individual may not represent themselves as a Provisional Licensed Alcohol and Drug Counselor unless they hold a valid license issued by the Department.

The total cost for certification is $175.

If the student already has a degree and wants to get qualified, they would need to take the following courses:


The state of Nebraska is encouraging the Licensed Mental Health Practitioners (LMHP) to seek dual certification as substance abuse counselors by taking HMSV 1140, HMSV 1160 and HMSV 2130.

Students who wish to enroll in the following three courses to obtain dual certification must provide proof of a master's degree in counseling or a related field and/or their LMHP number verified by the state to have the course prerequisites waived.

For more information on any of the General Human Services and/or Chemical Dependency Counseling degrees, certificates or certifications, please call 531-MCC-2400 to schedule an appointment with an academic advisor.

Program Faculty

Program Descriptions

  • Human Services - General (HSAA2) - Associate in applied science, prepares student for entry-level positions as a team member in public and private community agencies and institutions involved with helping clients.

  • Human Services - General (HSGCE) - Certificate of achievement, provides an overview of human services, which includes helping skills and techniques, case planning and management, professional ethics and issues.

  • Human Services - Chemical Dependency Counseling (CDAA1) - Associate in applied science, focuses on theoretical and practical knowledge in working with chemically dependent individuals and their families.

  • Human Services - Chemical Dependency Counseling (CDCC1) - Certificate of achievement, provides an overview of human services, which includes helping skills and techniques, case planning and management, professional ethics and issues.

Program Manual

Practicum Applications

Registration Worksheet


John Vautravers Memorial Scholarship

  • Minimum cumulative GPA of 3.25

  • Must have completed 15 credit hours in HMSV prefix courses

  • Must have completed at least 30 credit hours that apply to the Human Services or Chemical Dependency degree

  • Explain interest in Human Services program, desired goals and experience in community service work

Credit Classes and Registration