Updated March 19, 2021
Interlibrary Loan is a service allowing MCC students, faculty and staff to request books, articles. and DVDs not available at MCC. Interlibrary Loan gives you access to hundreds of academic and public library collections throughout the United States.
- Students must pick up and return physical items (books or DVDs) at the Elkhorn Valley or the South Omaha library.
- Faculty and staff may also make arrangements to have physical items mailed to a campus mailbox.
- Photocopies will be delivered electronically.
Use Clio to submit book/DVD/article requests and view the status of your requests
- Log on with your MCC username & password.
- The first time you log on you will be asked to edit your personal information.
- To submit a request: Click on New Request then select the appropriate form.
- Click on Your Requests to see the status of your requests.
You may also use WorldCat to search for books/DVDs and submit interlibrary loan requests.
NOTE: In order to track the status of interlibrary loan requests made in WorldCat, you must first create a WorldCat account. Please note that your WorldCat requests will not display in your Clio account.
Frequently Asked Questions
What items may I borrow?
Most library materials may be borrowed. All libraries have certain types of materials they will not loan and we may not be able to obtain those materials for you. Examples include reference books, entire issues of magazines or newspapers and audiovisual or multimedia items (DVDs, computer disks, etc.).
You may request one copy of the same textbook only once per quarter. Renewals are not allowed.
How do I request items?
Submit a request form in one of three ways:
- If you found the item in WorldCat, use the online form available there.
- If you find the item in another database (example: Academic Search Premier), click on Request this item through interlibrary loan, then complete the form.
Library staff will find a library owning your requested items and will request a loan or photocopy on your behalf. You will be contacted when the item is available for pick up at a MCC campus library. Some photocopies may be emailed to you or made available on a website for you to retrieve.
How long does it take?
Most materials will arrive within two weeks from the date of your request. In some instances it may take less time, while in others it may take more. The length of time depends on many factors, including the geographic location of the lending library.
How much does it cost?
Interlibrary Loan is a free service. Any photocopy, processing or postage fees will be paid by MCC.
How long may I keep items?
Photocopies are usually yours to keep. Loan periods for other items are set by the lending library and average around four weeks. Some lending libraries allow renewals (see below). You may be charged $1.00 a day for each item kept beyond the due date.
What happens if I fail to return items?
You will be charged $100 for each item you do not return. A hold will be placed on your account with the Business Office. You may also be charged an additional fee by the lending library.
May I renew items?
Textbooks cannot be renewed. Other items may be renewed depending on the lending library. Contact Pam Neseth before the due date at 531-622-1320 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
NOTE: Do not renew interlibrary loan items yourself through your WebPAC or Omaha Public Library account. You must contact Pam Neseth.