Skip to main content
Changes ahead
Some pages will look different than others as we modernize to bring you an even better website.

Enrollment FAQ

What is the first Step I Need Take to Enroll at MCC?

Once you have made your decision to enroll in MCC, the first step is to apply. The application is free and takes about 10 minutes to complete. Although there are no requirements to attend MCC, your application will be reviewed to make sure we have all the information we need to help you to the next step - registration for courses. You can apply here.

What if I’ve taken classes at MCC before. Do I need to apply?

You do need to apply if:

  • You have never taken classes with MCC before.
  • You haven’t taken classes at MCC in two or more years.
  • Your student type is changing (e.g. High School Student to Freshman/New Student).

You do not need to apply if:

How do I apply for Financial Aid?

To receive financial aid, you will need to complete the FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid) at Make sure to list MCC on your FAFSA so that your financial aid information gets reported to us. The federal code for MCC is 004432. There is a lot of resources to help you on MCC's Financial Aid page located here. Education Quest ( has free resources for FAFSA assistance, as well. Anytime you have questions about your FAFSA, you can call MCC’s Financial Aid office at 531-622-2330.

What scholarships are available and How do I apply for scholarships?

The great news about scholarships at MCC is there are 130+ scholarships available, and over $3 million in scholarships awarded annually. Students can be eligible for scholarships in several ways: financial need, academic progress or achievement, program of student or a combination.

Students apply for scholarships once per year through one application. By completing this one application, you will be considered for each eligible scholarship during every scholarship period throughout the year. You can get more information, including deadlines or start your scholarship application process by going to If you need to contact the Scholarships office with questions, you can reach them at

You can also check out the External Scholarships page on our website for a list of scholarships which are not awarded by the MCC Scholarships office. These applications will be separate from the MCC Scholarship Application.

Do I need to do placement testing and How does placement testing work?

Although there are no assessment minimum requirements to be admitted to MCC, several departments require testing, so the student can be placed in the right course. Students are placed in English, math, reading, and ESL classes. Placement testing is provided free of charge. A Success Navigator or Academic Advisor can help you determine whether or not you need to do any placement testing and provide a recommendation to the Testing Center on your behalf as needed. Placement testing may not be necessary in the following scenarios:

  • You have sent us ACT scores, which can be used for placement purposes.
  • You have completed college-level math and English courses at another college/university.
  • You took the Next Generation Accuplacer at another school and can have the scores sent to us.
  • You want to take classes which do not require any pretesting or prerequisites (A Place to Start).

If you need to schedule placement testing, you can do so by emailing your preferred Testing Center location. If you’d like to prepare for the test, you can find free resources on our Placement Testing Resources page.
Due to COVID-19, most placement tests are still being administered remotely at this time. The Testing Center will assist you with scheduling either a remote or in-person test, based on current policy.

Enrollment Resources

Full-time vs. part-time status

Students enrolled in 12 or more credit hours during a quarter are considered full-time students. Students enrolled in less than 12 credit hours during a quarter are considered part-time students.

Students wishing to enroll in more than 25 credit hours need approval from a campus dean/executive director or Student Services director.