Dear MCC F-1 students and OPT students:
It’s important to be aware that, as a nonresident student in the US, you’re legally required to file a tax return if you received US income during 2022.
And even if you didn’t work or receive income in the US, you’re still obliged to file a Form 8843 with the IRS.
MCC has arranged discounted access to Sprintax Tax Preparation for you. Sprintax will guide you through the tax preparation process, arrange the necessary documents and check if you’re due a tax refund.
Sprintax was used by over 200,000 international students and scholars last year, and the average Federal refund received by eligible students was over $1,347.
All you need to do is:
1. Register and follow the simple instructions that are attached and on the webpage at https://www.sprintax.com/returns/
2. Complete the online questionnaire
3. Enter your unique discount code from ISS in the box on the ‘Review your order’ page
4. Sprintax will prepare your tax return
Finally, once you complete the preparation process in the Sprintax software, you must print, sign and mail your documents to the IRS.
If you have any questions, the Sprintax team will be happy to help via their 24/7 live chat facility.
Please note the following:
- Int'l Student Services cannot give advice on filling out tax forms and refer students to companies that support F-1 students, such as Sprintax.
- While filing the correct tax forms is a requirement if you were in the US in 2022, you do not have to use Sprintax's services. It is optional to use this company. Sprintax specializes in assisting F-1 students with completing tax forms. You can file the tax forms one your own, if you prefer.
- The Sprintax discount code below is only for filing the tax forms if you worked in 2022, not if you did not work.
- If you did not work in the US in 2022, you only need to complete Form 8843. You may fill out the form for free by accessing it at https://www.irs.gov/forms-pubs/about-form-8843.
- If you have been in the US more than five years, then you will most likely be considered a "resident for tax purposes". Sprintax supports only non residents for tax purposes.