Tour Stop J: Post Exchange
Originally a filtration plant constructed in 1912, this building was remodeled and enlarged to become the Post Exchange building in 1923. All incoming or outgoing calls, whether emergency or routine, would pass through the post switchboard housed here.
The building's capacity for handling emergencies was enhanced when it became the post fire station. The framework of a previous double doorway on the south end of the building shows remodeling to accommodate fire equipment. In addition, for several years the Lynch Plumbing Company operated a plumbing shop exclusively for Fort Omaha in the rear portion.
In 1933, the structure was converted to a one-family residence for the post commander. Following the Navy's occupation of the fort in 1947, it was the only officers' quarters on the fort with a built-in garage.
Visit the Ordnance Magazine…