Full-time exempt and non-exempt employees accrue sick leave at the rate of 8 hours per month up to a maximum of 880 hours.
Accrued sick leave permits paid absence due to:
- Disability caused by a medical condition of the employee;
- The need to prevent exposure of co-workers and the public to contagious disease;
- The need of the employee to obtain dental or medical care;
- The illness or injury of a member of the employee's immediate family defined as father, mother, current spouse, dependent children, dependent stepchildren, and any relative living in the household of the employee;
- Adoption of a child when that child requires the personal care and presence of the employee.
A description of the Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA) provisions, which may apply in some cases, is available in Human Resources.
Upon retirement, a portion of the employee's accrued, unused sick leave may be paid to employees age 60 or older with a minimum total point score of 70 (points equal employee’s age at retirement plus years of regular employment with the College). The College will pay out a portion the retiree's accrued, unused sick leave at the employee's current daily rate, up to a maximum of 880 hours according to the following chart:
|Total Point Score at Time of Retirement
||Percentage of Sick Leave Paid Out
|80 or more
For example: An employee age 60 at the time of retirement with 12 years of full-time employment would be paid 17% of their accrued, unused sick leave.
Upon the death of a current employee, 50 percent of the employee's unused sick leave will be paid to the employee's designated beneficiary.
HR contact: Karla Stoltenberg, 531-622-2235