MCC Commencement Ceremony
The Metropolitan Community College Commencement Ceremony is held annually to recognize students who have graduated or will graduate during the current academic year (fall, winter, spring and summer quarters).
At MCC, degree confirmation occurs at the end of each quarter and denotes the completion of a program of study. Degrees and certificates of achievement are mailed approximately four to six weeks after the end of each quarter to qualifying students.
Participation in the May commencement ceremony is optional. The ceremony is only for degree and certificate of achievement graduates (students receiving a career certificate are NOT eligible to participate).
2020-21 Academic Year commencement ceremony will be held:
Friday, May 14, 2021 at 7:30 p.m.
UNO, Baxter Arena
2425 S. 67th St.
Omaha, NE 68106
A professional photographer and videographer will be there to document the ceremony. A link will be posted when pictures and video are made available for purchase.
Invitations for graduation can be ordered through Jostens
How to participate in the may commencement ceremony
To ensure your name is listed in the Graduation Ceremony Program
Complete the graduation application by April 1. This is the only application you will need to submit to participate.
*Note - Students Completing their program of study in 21/SS quarter must select the summer quarter graduation application, NOT the 20/SP quarter graduation application.
Refer to your My Services account to ensure that the status states Received. You will also get an email confirmation as soon as you have submitted your application. If you did not, then your application was not successfully submitted and you must apply again. The email confirmation will be the only communication piece you will receive regarding graduation.
Purchase your cap and gown at the Fort, South, or Elkhorn campus bookstore when it becomes available on April 5th . Your student ID card is required.
Graduates show up at Baxter Arena at 6:00 p.m.
Students Applying after April 1st
Your name WILL NOT be listed in the graduation ceremony program, however you may participate in the ceremony
Complete the graduation application.This is the only application you will need to submit to participate.
Refer to your My Services account to ensure that the status states "Received." You will also get an email confirmation as soon as you have submitted your application. If you did not, then your application was not successfully submitted and you must apply again. The email confirmation will be the only communication piece you will receive regarding graduation.
Purchase your cap and gown at the Fort Omaha, South Omaha or Elkhorn Valley Campus bookstore when it becomes available on April 5th. Your student ID card is required.
Graduates show up at Baxter Arena at 6:00 p.m.
FAQs About MCC's Commencement Ceremony
When is the next ceremony?
The MCC 2021 Commencement Ceremony will be held Friday, May 14 at 7:30 p.m. This ceremony is for graduates of the academic year for the following quarters:
What am i required to do the day of the ceremony?
- Enter via main entrance.
- Assemble in Community Ice Arena beginning at 6 p.m., but no later than 7 p.m., wearing your gown, cap and tassel. Wear the tassel over the right front of the cap.
- Report to the check-in tables to pick up your name card. Tables are alphabetical by last name.
- If you are graduating with honors, you will receive your honors medallion with your name card.
- If you are a veteran, active or reserve military, you will receive a military service cord with your name card.
- If your name is pronounced differently than it is spelled or if you wish to have your name pronounced a certain way when you receive your award, readers will be available to clarify pronunciation.
- Take your name card and staff will direct you to the lineup area.
- Listen for instructions to begin lining up (approximately 7 p.m.).
- Leave coats, purses and other personal items with your guests or family members. The College is not responsible for personal items left in the lineup area during the ceremony.
- If you arrive after the 7 p.m. lineup time, you may not be able to participate in the ceremony.
- Prohibited Items List
For additional information please refer to the 2021 Commencement Ceremony Guide that you will receive with your cap and gown purchase.
What color are caps and gowns?
Cap and gowns are black. Graduates are required to wear a cap and gown to participate in the commencement ceremony. Caps and gowns will be available for purchase from Fort Omaha, South Omaha, or Elkhorn Valley campus bookstores beginning April 5. Cost for cap and gown packet is $47.
*Caps & Gowns will NOT be available for pickup at the arena*
CAN I DECORATE MY CAP?
Yes, as long as it is tastefully done and contained to the top of the cap.
What can honor society members wear?
- Members of Alpha Delta Omega, Kappa Beta Delta, National Technical Honor Society and Phi Theta Kappa are eligible to wear the tassel, pin, sash/stole or medallion of their honor society.
- Contact your honor society chapter for information on ordering. Please see the MCC Organizations webpage for contact information.
- Order early to ensure delivery in time for graduation.
How will I know if I graduate with honors?
- To graduate with honors, a student must earn a cumulative grade point average of 3.5 or above in his/her program of study (degrees and certificates of achievement only).
- Honors graduates will receive a gold honors medallion to wear during the ceremony, when you receive your name card at check-in.
- The medallion is yours to keep.
Will I receive my diploma at the ceremony?
- No, you will not receive a diploma. A diploma cover is used for the ceremony. Diplomas and certificates of achievement for each quarter are mailed four to six weeks after the end of the quarter the student is graduating from. For example, if a student has applied for graduation during the fall quarter, his/her diploma will not be mailed until after fall quarter. It is possible that the student has already received his/her diploma or certificate prior to the May commencement ceremony.
Is there a limit on how many guests to invite to the ceremony?
No, but we strongly encourage families to allow plenty of time to park and find seats.
Is there a charge for family and guests, or do they need tickets?
WHERE SHOULD I, MY FAMILY AND GUESTS PARK?
Please refer to the Baxter Arena parking map and utilize the street entrances suggested. It is highly recommended that you give yourself plenty of time to arrive and park.
Will my family be able to take pictures?
- Friends and family are not allowed onto the processional floor.
- Professional photographers will take pictures of the graduates as they receive their awards.
- To order a DVD or Blu-ray of the entire ceremony, email Aaron at thinkMotion, email@example.com.
For further information about the commencement ceremony, please contact Records at 531-MCC-2353 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
For questions about the graduation application process, please contact:
- An academic advisor at any Student Services location, Records Office or Career and Academic Skills Center on the Fort Omaha Campus.
- Call 531-MCC-2400 to make an appointment with an advisor if needed.
For GED graduation ceremony information, please contact:
- Adult Basic Education, 531-MCC-2312
For Photos and DVDs, look here!
To order 2021 Commencement Ceremony photos, you can contact Lifetouch at 800-505-9496
To order MCC Graduation Diploma Frames, visit kggroupstl.com/metrocc.