Students in the HDIM program will learn how data in healthcare is transformed into information to drive the quality and safety of healthcare. They will learn how to maintain privacy and security of health information in an industry that is moving toward an increasingly electronic and global environment.
Graduates of the HDIM program are eligible to take the national Registered Health Information Technician (RHIT) exam.
Job & Salary Outlook
Degrees & Certificates Offered
The MCC Health Data and Information Management program is ideal for students with an interest in healthcare data and management of health information technology.
Kelly Hajek, RHIA, program director/instructor
Dawn Goodsell, RHIA, instructor
for more information
If you have questions regarding the program, please contact the program director at the email provided above or at 531-622-2673. If you are ready to get started with program requirements or the application process, please call 531-622-2400 to schedule your advising appointment with a Success Navigator or Academic Advisor. You can also use this link to help navigate your next steps: https://www.mccneb.edu/Prospective-Students
APPLICATION FOR HDIM PROGRAM: Admission to the HDIM program is selective. Applications for the HDIM program consist of the application, two letters of reference, an essay, an application checklist, technical standards form and unofficial transcripts. Application packets are accepted anytime, but are reviewed twice per year for the fall and spring cohorts as outlined below:
Deadlines for Health Data and Information Management application packets
||End of July
If you cannot start the HDIM program right away, you can start working on HDIM program requirements. All courses that do not have an HDIM or HITP designation can be taken before acceptance into the HDIM program. For more information, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
ACCREDITATION: The Health Data and Information Management Program accreditor of Metropolitan Community College is the Commission on Accreditation for Health Informatics and Information Management Education (CAHIIM). The College’s accreditation for an associate degree in Health Data and Information Management has been reaffirmed through 2025-2026. All inquiries about the program’s accreditation status should be directed by mail to CAHIIM, 200 East Randolph Street, Suite 5100, Chicago, IL, 60601; by phone at (312) 235-3255; or by email at email@example.com.
- Student achievement/outcomes as of Winter 2020-2021
- Graduation rate - 53%
- Employment Rate - 2017-18 (most recent data) graduate employment rate 82%
- Academic transfer - 1 in 4 graduates continued their education at a 4-year institution
- Certification exam pass rates nationwide - 73%
- Certification exam pass rates for MCC HDIM students - 98%
- Student testimonials
- "The HDIM program at MCC is a fantastic way to get a start in or advance in an amazing career field! Whether you are new to the industry or just expanding on your knowledge of HIM, MCC has a fit for you. The instructors are caring, patient and knowledgeable and remain a valuable resource throughout your transition into the work force. Wonderful program and I am so happy that I decided to return to finish my degree." - Nanci Trumble, RHIT (HDIM graduate 2017)
- “Metropolitan Community College’s HDIM program provided me the opportunity to engage with experienced educators who were passionate to teach the curriculum to best prepare me for my career in the healthcare industry! The flexibility of the HDIM program allowed me to further my education while continuing to work full-time and plan my wedding. I have formed lasting relationships with many of the individuals I engaged with through my courses, meetings and internship. Thank you, Metropolitan Community College!” - Kim Semerad, RHIT (HDIM graduate 2018)
NOTE: For accommodations concerning the application above, please contact our Disability Support Services.